Thursday, May 15, 2008

Happy Birthday, Hanie!

I love being able to say, "I've been best friends with this girl since the 4th grade!" Technically, we were both part of the Junior Great Books program in the 3rd grade, but it wasn't until the next year, when we were both in the same class, that we became fast friends.

I don't know how other people felt about taking the school bus, but it was always a source of great fun for me. Hanie and I lived only a few stops apart, and the best part of the trip home was definitely when we were both on; the worst when one of us got off. I can't remember much about all the crazy stuff we did on the bus rides, but I do remember the following exchange one morning as we were getting off the bus:
Hanie: Doris, stop holding up the line!

Doris: But there's a lunch ticket on this seat!

Hanie: [Clearly annoyed] Who cares!! Move!

I reluctantly started moving towards the door, when I suddenly heard the following:

Hanie: Hey, look! Free lunch ticket!

Doris: !!!!!!
Naturally, when my sister started taking the bus, it was an added bonus. I'm pretty sure that we made her cry on several occasions, most notably when I commented that my sister's nose was elastic, and that Hanie should try it. Clearly, not much has changed in the past 20 years. We may not torment each other as much, but Elise is always fair game. Happy Birthday, Hanie!

1 comment:

pingmulan said...

Junior Great Books!!! Nobody else knows what that is. I didn't realize you and Hanie have known each other for so long.