Friday, November 27, 2009

Rome, Day 6

The conference finally ended today a little after lunch, so I decided to use my remaining time to run through the city and check out the Roman monuments in the glow of twilight.  While I've been to most of the sites in Rome before, there's something very beautiful about how they look in the setting sun.  Also, ever since my first trip to Rome, I've been drooling over the thought of gelato from San Crispino - hands down the best gelato I've ever had.  While I was in the area the other day, the shop hadn't opened for business yet, so today was my last day to get some gelato, cold as it is.  This place only uses fresh, seasonal ingredients, so every visit could very well be different!

Walking around by myself at night (with a camera, no less) always makes me a bit paranoid, but somewhere between gawking at the ruins and sending text messages to people back home made me lose my focus, and I looked up to find this guy standing in front of me, just staring.  After introducing himself, he kept volunteering to give me a tour of Rome, take me to dinner, and also kept asking what hotel I was staying at.  On the one hand, he wasn't completely creepy about it, but at the same time, it just seemed like something out of those educational videos about travel safety.  Don't talk to strangers!  Beware of seemingly nice men who want to take you places! 

In any case, here's my favorite picture from the night.  There's nothing quite like the Roman Colisseum bathed in moonlight, and seeing it literally stopped me in my tracks; it's simply breathtaking.

2 comments:

wafflehouse said...

san crispino is a weird deal. you hear about how it's the best gelato in rome, then you walk into the store and three uniformed indian guys are standing behind the counter ready to scoop. granted, every gelato counter is manned by foreigners, but i was still taken aback. the best part is walking around the corner and enjoying it while hanging out at trevi.

tina said...

No!! Talk to strangers! I just watched Roman Holiday again... how lovely.