Taiwan - Day 4
Easily one of the most recognizable landmarks in Taiwan. I've been a few times, but my Aunt insisted on taking me again. I've posted side-by-side pictures from my visit in 2005, along with my current visit. What do you notice?

Chiang Kai-Shek Statue

(First picture of Chiang Kai Shek statue is not mine - the one I took was a closeup)
They say that history is written by those in power, and I think this is a great example of that. The current president of Taiwan, who hates all things remotely related to China, has been trying to get rid of all references to Chiang Kai-Shek including renaming the memorial plaza and trying to get rid of the statue. When Pres Chen found out that he couldn't actually remove or destroy the statue, he decided to instead, make a mockery of the whole thing. Imagine for a moment that someone desecrated the Lincoln Memorial with finger painting and paper mache. Or made the Statue of Liberty wear glasses and a fake mustache. What does that say? How does that make you feel? What's interesting is that this sign is still outside the statue hall:
If I showed up wearing a bikini and flip flops, I'd be showing more respect than the current display does. Fuck you, Chen. You, and hopefully your party, will be out in May, and Taiwan can return to better times. #2!!!
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
are you serious.. why ...? he is the founder of our country
Post a Comment