Sunday, January 25, 2009

葱麵包

This is 葱麵包. More specifically, it's the Taiwanese way of making it. What you usually find in Chinese bakeries in California is the Cantonese version, which in my opinion, is very much inferior. I'm not sure why it's so hard to find a Chinese bakery that makes it the Taiwanese way,especially since half of them are Taiwanese, but I only know of one place that does it - TanBii Bakery, and judging by how quickly they sell out, I'm not the only person who craves a proper 葱麵包. More often than not, my trips to TanBii Bakery end in utter disappointment, when the lady tells me that they've sold out for the day. This time, my mom and I decided to go at noon to increase our chances, and found nine left. We bought seven, and left the last two to be nice.

I have no picture for comparison, so you'll have to trust me when I say that the Cantonese version resembles this in shape, but looks like someone placed a small pinch of green onions on the top, almost functioning as a garnish instead of a main ingredient. The bread itself is light but dry, and ultimately tasteless. There's not much green onion flavor unless you've taken a bite of them. The Taiwanese version, however, has copious amounts of green onions lightly sauteed in some sauce that I can't quite identify, spread across the top. The bread itself is moist, light, and has a slight sweetness to it, which complements the green onion flavor of each bite. The only downside is that you potentially have green onion breath after eating, but let's face it. It's so delicious that there is no downside.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i didn't realize that there is a difference...! you are so particular

3D said...

The difference is that one is ok, and the other is delicious. I can't help it if I prefer things that taste better!

Unknown said...

U MUST SHOW ME THE PLACE

3D said...

Click the link!