Monday, July 13, 2009

New Orleans, Day 1

First full day in New Orleans, and while most of it was spent working, my coworker and I managed to haul ass in time for a late dinner at Drago's Seafood Restaurant. Despite the fact that the restaurant's about a 5-10 minute walk from the Convention Center, walking in the New Orleans heat and humidity in business clothing (he was also wearing a jacket), was not an option, so we cabbed it.

Drago's is apparently the birthplace of charbroiled oysters, which are actually pretty damn good. Gulf oysters are seasoned with garlic, butter, and herbs, and thrown on a grill with a massive flame. The end result is quite tasty, and bread is mandatory to soak up all of the sauce. Even if you don't normally like oysters, it's hard to deny the buttery goodness.

For dinner, my coworker and I shared the Crescent City Shrimp, and the Stuffed Lobster (crabmeat, and shrimp dressing topped with crabmeat au gratin). Something tells me I shouldn't be getting my cholesterol tested anytime soon.

No comments: