Saturday, July 18, 2009

New Orleans, Day 6

Before saying farewell to New Orleans, Joel and I had lunch at Liuzza's By the Track, which was a little out of the way, but totally worth it. Liuzza's seems like a nice neighborhood joint, where the locals frequent and know the staff, so I felt just a little out of place while we were there. The staff, like all locals, was nice, and the food pretty much made me forget about any perceived awkwardness.

To start, Joel and I ordered a bowl of gumbo and garlic bisque. Liuzza's take on these two soups is a little thinner than others, but they're no less delicious. The garlic bisque is truly garlicy, and since it's more liquidy than creamy, it's easy to want to pick up the bowl and just gulp the whole thing.



Liuzza's version of a shrimp po boy is also a bit different. It's not so much a sandwich but a plate of shrimp, drowning in a garlic pepper gravy, with two hollowed out rolls of bread to soak it all in. Needless to say, it's fantastically delicious. Just looking at the picture makes me drool.



So long, New Orleans. I can't wait to come back and try more of your restaurants.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM