Joel arrived last night, so I now have a friend and eating partner for the remainder of my trip!
I didn't have to be at work until the early afternoon, so Joel and I had an early lunch at Mother's Restaurant. We got there just in time to avoid the lunch rush, and when we left, there were at least 15 people waiting outside the restaurant, waiting to get in. Joel and I split the Famous Ferdi Special Po Boy, featuring Mother's Best Baked Ham, and the Grilled Catfish Po Boy. Both were very good, although I preferred the catfish just because it was different. The fish itself was very tender, and wasn't over seasoned, allowing you to actually taste the fish.
After lunch, we walked to Cafe Du Monde for some cafe au lait and beignets. It was far too hot (and humid) to even think about hot coffee, but thankfully they had an iced version. I couldn't really taste the chicory in the coffee, but the beignets didn't disappoint one bit. What's not to love about fried dough covered in powdered sugar? A note to future visitors, they're very generous with the powdered sugar, so don't wear a black shirt.
What was interesting about Cafe Du Monde is that the place was filled with Vietnamese people. After our Vietnamese server took our order, Joel and I looked around and noticed that almost all the servers were Vietnamese. The people sitting at the table next to us were either on break, or were visiting. Either way, I could smell the bean curd with sesame oil from their tupperware. Joel and I both wanted to ask for an order of pho to go with our cafe au laits, but neither one of us could work up the courage. Next time! Cafe Du Monde is open 24/7, so there should be plenty of opportunity.


No comments:
Post a Comment