Tonight I went to my first concert up here, and rather enjoyed it. Probably helps that I don't think I lost much hearing despite it being such a small venue. I love live music, but there's always that risk of possibly going deaf. Foo Fighters? Quite possibly worth it. Bad Religion? Not so much.
Despite being familiar with Greg Laswell's last album and having heard a few Ingrid Michaelson songs before, I wasn't extremely excited about the concert. I think the rumors of Greg Laswell once dating my favorite Mandy Moore might have something to do with it, but at the time I first started listening to him, I found the album too depressing (albeit beautiful) to listen to in one sitting. Listening to tracks sprinkled here and there on my iPod while on an airplane wasn't too bad, although we all know how my tolerance goes down with increased altitude. Quick aside: Maybe depressing music works on airplanes because it keeps you subdued. I did feel rather antsy listening to Hairspray on my flight to Frankfurt because I had this incredible urge to dance up and down the aisles and sing. In any case, hearing Laswell and Michaelson perform live was quite the treat. For two artists with quite the library of depressing songs, they're pretty random and hilarious individuals. I guess you've just got to laugh through the day and sing through the pain. But where does that leave left-brainers? Mathematical formulas can only express so much.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Indie Pop
Labels:
San Francisco
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Does Bad Religion suck live? Or do you just not like them?
Sorry, it's Ken, if you didn't know already.
I was so-so with Bad Religion, but for some reason didn't really enjoy watching them live (forgot who they opened for). I guess I just used them as an example because if I'm gonna lose my hearing from a concert, it might as well be for a band I really love - Bad Religion certainly isn't the most offensive, but they're also not my favorite.
what does it say about me that i like depressing music? :-P
You tell me.
Post a Comment