Sunday, February 3, 2008

Fortified With Vitamin C

For as long as I can remember, there have always been a lot of calendars around the house. My parents somehow manage to get free ones left and right, and I think it might even be safe to say that the ratio of calendars to rooms in the house is almost 1:1. I say almost because I can't remember if there's one in the garage. Calendar portraits are generally pretty predictable - Chinese oil paintings, flowers, national parks, interior home designs with random recipes, you name it, it's probably been on a calendar. As this was the first time I've been home since Christmas, I got a good look at all of the new ones, and I must say, 99 Ranch Market, who usually falls under the oil paintings category, has really gone all out this year. Rather than making a monthly pinup display of your neighborhood fish fryer, bok choy supplier, or the mustachioed Cantonese guy shouting indecipherables in the meat department, 99 Ranch decided instead to feature produce. Welcome to January and February 2008, or better known as "cabbage". Written in both Chinese and English is a short description of the nutrients and benefits of consuming said vegetable. Friends, this one's a keeper.

2 comments:

Ben said...

You know what the best free calendar of all time is right? That's right, the East West Bank calendar of Michelle Kwan.

Elise said...

You obviously missed last year's 99 ranch calendar. it was CARTOON pictures of produce and their nutrition values. It was way way cuter imho.