Friday, February 15, 2008

The Wildest Ride in the Wilderness

From an LA Times article I read:

Missing since November, the beloved dynamite-chewing goat on the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster is expected to wander back to his exposed butte in the next few weeks, according to Disneyland officials.

The extended and unexplained disappearance fueled speculation on Internet chat rooms about the bleating goat’s demise and led to more
than a few instances of baa-baa-bad humor.

Officially, the nameless, genderless goat is “on vacation.” Unofficially, the audio-animatronic
animal is getting a new fur coat in the Anaheim theme park’s maintenance department after years of exposure to the wind, sun and rain.

Disney fans fondly recall the legendary “goat trick” — where riders at the crest of the second lift hill train their eyes on the goat throughout the subsequent sharp turn to greatly increase the sideways G-forces.

Big Thunder Mountain is probably one of my favorite rides at Disneyland, the goat trick being one of the reasons why. Personally, I like sitting in the last car, on the left side. The ride is just a little more jerky, and if your friend is crazy, she might just try and knock your sunglasses off when slamming into you through the turns. Just ask the man and his son sitting behind us once, who couldn't stop laughing at what he was seeing.

Oh, and I'm not sure why I had such difficulties finding a picture of the actual goat. I bow to you, my Google friend.

3 comments:

threeisgreen said...

i'm kind of disturbed by the fact that the writer of the la times article had to call out the "genderless" aspect of the goat. i mean, really, do we care whether the goat is male, female, transgender, or intersex? no. we don't. furthermore, i'm not crazy.

pingmulan said...

I rock. No wait...I win. :D

Felisa said...

How do you ride jerky rides without getting sick on everyone around you?