Friday, August 8, 2008

Opening Cermonies

While the Opening Ceremonies have already concluded in Beijing, we Californians won't get the NBC broadcast for another 9 hours (damn you, NBC). I can't begin to tell you how excited I am. I love the Opening Ceremonies in general, but I'm especially excited to see what the Chinese have in store. Oftentimes, what makes these celebrations so spectacular is the sheer volume of performers on stage. If there's anything China has a surplus of, it's people. Remember the scene in Mulan where there's a thousand people in front of the Imperial Palace bowing to the Emperor? Remember the scene in Hero where there's a thousand archers shooting at Jet Li? There will be no CGI in Beijing. This is the real deal, and it's going to be epic. And don't forget fireworks. We fucking invented them. People + fireworks + over 5000 years of history and culture to draw upon make for very rich ingredients to the world's newest Chinese dish, ready for the world's consumption. Go, China! Make me even prouder to be Chinese.

No comments: