Christine and I mostly walked around Nice today, exploring the neighborhoods and Castle Hill, which is no longer home to a castle (but is still on a hill). The views from atop Castle Hill are indeed beautiful, and even has a little playground for kids. Thankfully, there weren't many kids around, so we were able to climb around and play. :)
Christine's guidebook also had a little blurb about Nice's noon cannon - apparently, in 1861, an old British colonel had the city of Nice install a cannon and asked that it be fired promptly at noon everyday, so that he'd know when to eat (his wife was supposedly forgetful and forgot to serve lunch). This custom has survived through the years, and everyday at noon, the cannon still goes off to remind people to stop and eat lunch. Despite reading this, Christine and I completely forgot, and I actually jumped as we were walking through Nice.
Monday, November 17, 2008
Nice, France - Day 2
Labels:
Photography,
Travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment