I mainly got the idea to start this thread shortly after my move from LA to SF. Even now, after 4 months, I still feel like a stranger to this city. I don't quite feel like I belong yet.
One of the things that bothers me most here (and there are plenty), is how people constantly tell me how crappy a place So Cal is and how I must be so happy to be in SF. Why is it necessary to put down So Cal? Can I not appreciate one city without hating the other? Unless you've actually lived in a city for some time, are you really qualified to defame it? If your city is as great as you say it is, shouldn't it shine on its own and not by (false) comparison? No one in So Cal cares, why do you?
Don't get me wrong, I'm completely open to hearing suggestions about what to do here and discovering them one by one, but do we need to be so judgmental about it? In a place that claims to be tolerant and accepting, there sure is a lot of labeling going on. Stop bitching about So Cal already and show me how great SF is!
Saturday, December 15, 2007
Show Not Tell
Labels:
San Francisco
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That's something I noticed when we first went to college. All the Nor Cal people would hate on so cal, and when you talk to them, you learn of this huge norcal/socal rivalry, only that none of us in socal knew there was a rivalry.
And no one in So Cal cares, either!
There's an analogy at a more macroscopic level. I've known Canadians that take much pride in how their country is superior to the USA.
[Canadian] Don't you love visiting Canada? It's so much nicer than America, eh?
[Me] Well, Canada does have Quebec after all!
[Canadian] &!@#^%@#!
Bahhh... they're just hatin'. Is pimping easy? They just don't know. Keep your head up!
I <3 this post. I felt the same way when I was in NY. They've got this superiority complex over CA, which is weird, bc CA barely notices/cares that NY exists. We're too busy smiling as we bask in our awesome weather and awesome sun, which makes an appearance for more than 3 months out of each year.
Let's toast to the one-way rivalry!
Orange County is so much better than L.A.! And San Diego is so much nicer than Orange County! And don't each potato chips, shoestring fries will take down So Cal. And Phoenix University will destroy Devry and all of California and USA any day of the weeeek! Boo-ya!! Come move to Jupiter. Our weather blows away your degrading climate on Earth!!! Who's got the big RED SPOT, beeeee-yatch!
Post a Comment