Sunday, October 5, 2008

de Young Museum

If you haven't already heard, as a Bank of America customer, you can gain free admission into select museums during the first weekend of each month. Unfortunately, I missed the Chihuly exhibit at the de Young, but they still have a couple of pieces in their permanent collection. If you've ever been to the Bellagio casino in Las Vegas, this is the guy who did the glass flowers that line the ceiling by the registration desk.


While I'm usually not one for modern or contemporary art installations, Josiah McElheny's Model for Total Reflective Abstraction really caught my eye. From a purely aesthetic perspective, it was interesting to see how the piece could go from bland and sterile to colorful and lively, based on your viewing angle and what was being reflected in the glass mirrors. Much like the Chicago Bean, I love mirrored surfaces that bend and distort its surroundings.

No comments: